Most IKEA furniture comes wrapped in the perfect wrapping you want to keep on, but there’s a different story regarding the IKEA BEKANT desk legs.
The cover is thin plastic that can easily be removed without damaging the furniture. To remove the IKEA BEKANT desk legs cover:
Removing Cover On IKEA BEKANT Desk Legs
- Begin by peeling back one corner of the cover.
- Slowly pull the cover off the furniture, careful not to rip it.
- Once the cover is off, throw it away or recycle it.
A few common issues faced by users while removing the covers include:
- Cover gets stuck
- Screws too tight
- Cover is damaged
- Cover too tight
- The furniture was damaged during the removal process
If you encounter any of these issues, don’t worry! Here are a few easy solutions.
- Cover Gets Stuck
Users face a common issue when removing the cover on IKEA BEKANT desk legs: the cover gets stuck.
In this case, gently pry the cover off with a flathead screwdriver.
- Screws Too Tight
Whether dealing with stripped screws or stubborn covers, these methods should help you get the job done quickly and easily.
So read on to learn how to remove the covers safely and effectively from your IKEA BEKANT desks!
- Use WD-40: Spraying a bit of WD-40 onto the screws can help loosen them and make it easier to unscrew them from the desk legs. Just be careful when spraying anything near your furniture, as it could damage the finish.
- Heat The Screws: Applying heat to the screws can also help loosen them. Using a hair dryer or a small blowtorch, direct the heat onto the screws until they become hot enough that you can unscrew them easily. Just be sure not to apply too much heat, as this could damage your furniture.
- Use Pliers: If you’re dealing with screws that are too tight, you may need to use a pair of pliers to help get them out. Just grip the screw with the pliers and twist it until it loosens. Be sure not to apply too much force, as this could strip or damage the screws.
- Apply Penetrating Oil: Applying penetrating oil to the screws can help loosen them and make it easier to remove the covers. Just be sure not to use too much, as this could damage your furniture or create a mess.
- Hammer & Screwdriver: If you’re still having trouble unscrewing the cover, you may need to use the hammer and screwdriver method. Place the screwdriver on top of the screw and give it a few taps using a hammer. This should help loosen the screws, making them easier to remove.
- Twist & Pull: If you’re having trouble with stuck covers, try twisting and pulling them off instead. This can be done by placing your hands on either side of the cover and twisting them in opposite directions. This should help loosen the cover, making it easier to remove.
- Pry Them Off: For tight covers that won’t budge, you may need to use a flathead screwdriver or pry bar to carefully pry them off. Just be sure to be careful when doing this, as it could damage your furniture.
- Cover is Damaged
If the cover on the IKEA BEKANT desk legs is damaged, it can be removed using several methods.
The first option is to simply cut the fabric off with a pair of scissors or a utility knife.
This may work best if only a small portion of the cover needs to be replaced or if it is ripped in one location.
However, it can be difficult to ensure a clean cut, and the fabric may fray or unravel when cut.
A second option is to use an adhesive remover such as Goo Gone.
This will help break down any adhesive used to hold the cover in place and make it easier to remove without damaging the desk leg.
Make sure to test the product on a small area of fabric first, as some products may discolor or damage certain fabrics.
You can also try gently prying the cover off with a flathead screwdriver.
Start at one corner of the cover and work around the entire leg, using careful pressure to prevent damaging the desk leg itself.
This method may also work if the cover has been stapled or glued to the leg, but it is important to use caution and avoid damaging the desk leg.
You can use a steamer to remove the cover from the IKEA BEKANT desk legs.
This method works by using the heat from the steam to loosen the adhesive holding the cover in place. Once this has been done, you should be able to carefully peel away the fabric with your hands.
Again, it is important to use caution when attempting this method, as too much heat can damage or discolor certain fabrics.
- Cover Too Tight
If the cover is still not coming off, you may need to use a heat gun to melt the adhesive, holding the cover in place slightly. Be careful not to damage the cover with the heat gun.
Here’s how you can fix these issues
- Peel From One Corner
If you want to remove the IKEA BEKANT desk legs cover but don’t want to damage the furniture, you can do a few things.
First, try peeling back one corner of the cover and slowly pulling it off. If it doesn’t peel, use a knife to scrape off the cover gently. Be careful not to scratch the furniture while doing so.
- Gently Use A Knife
If the IKEA BEKANT desk legs cover is stubborn, you can gently use a knife to scrape it off. Just be careful not to scratch the furniture while doing so.
- Use Boiling Water
If the IKEA BEKANT desk legs cover is stuck on, you can use boiling water to loosen it up.
Boil water and slowly pour it over the cover. Let it sit for a few minutes before removing the cover again. Try not to burn yourself with the water while doing this.
Is it hard to take covers off IKEA furniture?
IKEA furniture has a reputation for being notoriously difficult to assemble, and the covers are no exception.
Taking the covers off IKEA furniture can be a tricky process that requires patience and precision.
Depending on the type of IKEA furniture you have, there may be various methods for taking off its cover.
Some IKEA furniture pieces require you to remove screws from the underside to access the fabric covering it.
Others may require you to unfasten buttons or clips along the edges of their frame before gently tugging at their corners until they come loose.
If your piece has been upholstered with leather or vinyl material, it will likely need special tools such as scissors or an X-Acto knife to cut through any adhesive used to attach it.
No matter what type of IKEA furniture you own, ensure that you take proper care when attempting to remove its cover so that it doesn’t get damaged.
It’s also important to carefully follow all instructions included with your item so everything is done correctly and safely.
When you have the cover off, inspect it for any signs of wear and tear or damage. If there are any tears or fraying, repair them with fabric glue before replacing the cover.
If your IKEA furniture comes with extra covers that can be used to replace the original one, keep it in a safe place so that you can use it in the future if needed.
By following these tips, you’ll be able to successfully take covers off of your IKEA furniture without any issues.
With patience and careful attention to detail, you’ll have your IKEA furniture looking new in no time.
To Sum it Up:
The IKEA BEKANT desk legs cover can be a pain to remove, but it’s not impossible.
You can get the job done in no time with patience and the right tools without damaging the furniture. Be careful not to scratch or tear the cover while removing it.